Strawberries in Cointreau
This is perhaps my favourite way of eating strawberries. It's not complicated but the taste combination is just perfect: the sweetness of the strawberries and sugar is balanced by the bitterness of the Cointreau and orange zest and the occasional zing of mint.
I love this on its own, but if you want to be fancier you can use this as an additional finishing topping to a strawberry mousse, panna cotta or cheesecake.
500g Fresh Strawberries
5 Tablespoons Cointreau (Grand Marnier will also work)
5 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
20-30 Mint leaf tips - the tiny fresh leaves at the very top of the sprig (alternatively you can tear larger leaves into smaller pieces)
1. Rinse and hull the Strawberries, halve the smaller ones and quarter the larger ones. Put in a mixing bowl
2. Thoroughly combine the Cointreau and Icing Sugar and then pour over the strawberries.
3. Zest the Orange over the Strawberries (zest from top to bottom of the orange, one wants good long strips).
4. Gently mix the ingredients together and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
5. To serve scatter in the Mint Leaf Tips, gently mix in and then decant everything into a large serving bowl. Serve with double cream.